01 Dec 8 reasons to take up yoga
These days, one doesn’t have to look hard or travel far to find a yoga studio or class. Yoga practice has become increasingly popular with participants of all ages and abilities and continues to gain followers who upon giving it a fair try, discover its many benefits. If you’ve yet to be convinced, have a look at these eight striking benefits:
- Flexibility: The stretching involved in yoga will help you maintain or gain flexibility. Within just a few classes, you’ll be on your way to achieving greater range of motion.
- Strength: Since many yoga poses require participants to support their body weight in new ways, including balancing on one leg or supporting themselves with their arms, those who practice regularly gain strength and increase muscle mass in new areas of the body.
- Improved Breathing: Yoga focuses on the breath, teaching us to use our lungs more efficiently. This, combined with regular heart-pumping activity, can improve cardiovascular endurance.
- Muscle tone: Stick with yoga over several weeks or longer and you’ll see and feel increased muscle tone.
- Prevention & Pain Relief: The improvements you’ll make in strength and flexibility can help prevent injury and may offer relief from chronic pain. Many people practice specifically with a view to managing and preventing pain.
- Quiet & Calm: Yoga offers a calming effect on the mind and introduces meditation techniques to can help quiet and calm our thoughts; induce relaxation and a better night’s sleep; and leave us with a feeling of tranquility and peace.
- Stress Reduction: Physical activity is beneficial for relieving stress, and this is especially true of yoga which teaches us self-awareness, to focus on the present, and also offers us a technique to help prevent and manage stress.
- Body Awareness: Practicing yoga will give you an increased awareness of your body and lead to greater self-confidence. Yoga is for every body, regardless of age, size, weight, level of fitness, or current level of flexibility. There are many different genres of yoga – explore them all to discover what you enjoy and benefit from most.